It was through Steve Ganz, whom I met at SXSW, that I learned PayPal was making the move to Web standards -- entirely due to the great job he'd been doing evangelizing them! It was also because of Steve that I got hired at PayPal. I was excited that we'd be working together... but disappointed when, after just 10 days on the job, Steve resigned. (As Ducky would say, "Do I o-ffend?")
Despite Steve's departure, progress must continue to be made, and PayPal is in need of a standards evangelist! I'm out to find the best person for the job -- someone with great knowledge, passion, and commitment. Is that you? Someone you know? The job description follows, along with instructions for applying. Contact me with questions, or just submit your resume!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Standards evangelism: Requires extensive knowledge of Web standards, a passion for advocating their correct usage, excellent communication skills (written and verbal), and a high comfort level speaking to large crowds.
- Code analysis: Candidate should have experience with reviewing others’ code, delivering constructive criticism, assisting developers with making changes/fixes.
- Prototype coding: Based on user interface and visual design specifications, rapidly create necessary HTML, CSS, and DOM scripts to produce working model.
- Documentation and training: Create and deliver training materials to groups of developers.
- 5+ years experience in Web development, including hand-coding of semantic HTML/XHTML, CSS-driven layouts.
- 3+ years experience with XML/XSL or a content management system with template scripting capabilities.
- Expertise with cross-browser, cross-platform development practices.
- Experience developing accessible Web sites that conform to WCAG 1.0.
- Solid understanding of Web protocols.
- Knowledge of software design principles, OO concepts, and/or C++ or Java programming.
- Excellent time management, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Experience in internationalization/localization a plus.
Education: Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
Interested parties should apply online at www.ebaycareers.com under Req #13672BR. Please provide at least 3 web site URLs that showcase your work.
#kbcom #webstandards #work